Friday, August 17, 2012

Treblinka... "Nie masz w Polsce żydowskich miasteczek"


The train ride from Budapest to Prague has reached the 8 hour mark and allowed much more time for reflection (and jam packed cars, an unliftable suitcase, and lots of sweat) than initially anticipated. But all the better, given the nature of the topic below. On Friday (July 13th), we journeyed to the Nazi killing center of Treblinka. The experience there (as many others on this fellowship) is impossible to fully describe and I find my language failing me even now, two and a half weeks after the visit. Visiting Treblinka was a very emotional experience for me, quite possibly the most of the entire program in hindsight. Coming from a daily work environment at home surrounded by Holocaust-related discussions and texts, and having previously visited Auschwitz, Birkenau, Dachau, and Theresienstadt, one would think I would be immune to such emotion. I think it has something to do with the fact that the barracks and camp structure still remain in the aforementioned, and here in the silence of Treblinka, all that remains is a monument and the occasional stone foundation since the Nazis attempted to destroy all evidence of such a place. The emptiness at one of the Nazi killing centers was profoundly unlike anything previously experienced. I believe that it was in the silence—in the absence of seeing the buildings that moved me, juxtaposed with the beautiful surroundings: blue sky with patchy gray clouds, surrounded by a lush forest.
Yet I knew that where I stood was where 700,000-800,000 Jews were murdered between July 1942 and November 1943—a very high number especially given the short time frame. I wanted to stop to think, to write, to pray, to anything, but as soon as I did, I was attacked by mosquitos. Thus layered in jeans, a thick black jacket zipped up to my chin and my hood on (despite the sun), I made my way toward the memorial, swatting as I walked. I approached an open field where thousands and thousands of stone slabs of varying dimensions jutted from the ground (17,000 in total), with 700 bearing the names of towns where Jews who perished at Treblinka lived prior to deportation. I wandered through the stones and into the surrounding field full of purple, yellow, white, and blue flowers, countless orange butterflies, and wild raspberries in the brush. I had weird feelings of guilt for finding a place such as this so beautiful. Alone, I kept trekking to Treblinka I (the work camp) a kilometer or so away.  At this point I had 9 going on 10 bites begging me to itch them, sweat trickling down my back, my stomach grumbling, and yet at some point walking down the little stone road, I stopped caring about the bites, my dampened clothes, my hunger… I felt so pathetic and utterly insignificant. In an instant I no longer found beauty in the silence, I thought of the hundreds of thousands of voices lost here in this place where I walked. It made me sick. It also forced me to grapple with this sense of space and how the way it is used affects our perception of the place (but these latter, more coherent thoughts, came much later). Walking back to the van after visiting Treblinka was a thoughtless blur.
Thus I end with the first line of Antoni Słonimski’s elegy to Jewish towns:
“Nie masz już, nie masz w Polsce żydowskich miasteczek” (“You no longer have, you have no Jewish towns in Poland..”)



Panorama of the monument.


No comments:

Post a Comment